Forestry industry inquiry to conduct hearings in Grafton
August 30, 2011
The House of Representatives Agriculture, Resources, Fisheries and Forestry Committee will be conducting hearings for its inquiry into the Australian forestry industry in Grafton on Thursday, 1 September, 2011.
Local community groups, academics, industry representatives and mill owners will give evidence to the committee about the local industry, as well as about the future of the Australian industry generally.
The public hearing will be held in the Clarence Valley Council Chambers, Prince Street, Grafton, on Thursday, 1 September, commencing at 8.45am.
The committee will hear from:
· Professor Jerry Vanclay;
· North East Forest Alliance;
· Clarence Environment Centre;
· Janelle Saffin MP, member for Page;
· Councillor Lindsay Passfield;
· J Notaras and Sons;
· Hurford Hardwood;
· NSW Forest Products Association Upper North East Branch;
· Australian Forest Growers Northern NSW Branch;
· Big River Group;
· Northern NSW Division of Timber Communities Australia; and
· School of Environmental Science and Management at Southern Cross University.
The committee will also conduct a roundtable forum during the day.
The committee is keen to hear from these groups, and expects some lively discussion of a number of issues important to the future of the forestry industry. Members of the public are encouraged to attend the hearing.
WHERE: Clarence Valley Council Chambers, Prince Street, Grafton
WHEN: Thursday 1 September 2011, 8.45am to 4.30pm