Mt Warning and Tomewin roads closed as too dangerous to use
Council is beginning to get more solid information around the condition of its roads following the flood and the
damage list is growing.
This morning Council closed both Mt Warning and Tomewin roads because they are too dangerous to use.
“The danger on these roads is not visible to the motorist,” said Director Engineering David Oxenham. “While they might
look good to get through on, the risk of driving on them is not acceptable.
“On Mt Warning Road the pavement is in place but there’s nothing below holding it up. On Tomewin Road, the landslips
are still moving.”
Council mobilised contractors to both roads today to undertake emergency repairs and make safe.
Both roads will remain closed until they are safe to drive on.
Below is the information we had on our roads network today at 3pm today .
- Booka Road, Upper Crystal Creek – only larger vehicles can get through road at second culvert, plus landslip.
Buringbar Road, Shackles Bridge – washed away.
- Byrrill Creek Road near Tyalgum – Extreme caution. The road is passable to large 4WD only. Single lane access in
places. Very rough terrain from road damage and a lot of branches on the road. Council has not yet assessed this
road. Essential travel only
closed at both ends (near Kyogle at the bridge and near Tyalgum).
- Byrrill Creek Bridge – road approaches and bridge washed away.
- Carool Road, Carool. Landslip near school.
- Cedar Creek Road and Bridge – reported washed away but no access to verify.
- Clothiers Creek Road, south of Farrants Road – one lane, significant top and bottom slips. Take extreme care.
- Clothiers Creek Road, Eviron – closed.
- Commissioners Creek Road – one lane flow. Multiple landslips.
- Couchy Creek Road, Numinbah – Closed. Landslip.
- Cudgera Creek Road – one lane access both ends but closed in the middle due to landslip.
- Doon Doon Road, Doon Doon – one lane flow at first bridge.
- Dunbible Bridge – open and clear.
- Dungay Road, 3km from Tomewin Road – temporary one-way track only.
- Eviron Road, Condong, near cemetery – dirt over road but passable.
- Fingal Road, Fingal Head – part of road collapsed.
- Garden of Eden Road, Tomewin – landslip.
- Glengarrie Road, Glengarrie – landslip.
- Harwood Road, Burringbar – landslip.
- Hogans Road, Bilambil – landslip
- Kirbys Road, Limpinwood – landslip.
- Kyogle Road – trafficable.
- Limpinwood Road, between Tyalgum and Chillingham – one lane open.
- Lonepine Road, Commissioners Creek
- Manns Road, Rowlands Creek – sinkhole near property No 78.
- Meadow Place, off Kyogle Road – large potholes.
- Midginbil Road, Doon Doon – one lane flow to 4WD only. Trees on road, landslip and bridge approaches and culverts
- Mt Warning Road, Mt Warning – Closed. Major slip near Mavis’ Kitchen.
- Nobbys Creek Road, Boatharbour Bridge, North Arm – Major damage. One lane open.
- North Arm Road, North Arm – one lane open. Landslip.
- Numinbah Road – down to one lane in places. Multiple landslips.
- Palmvale Road, Palmvale – Closed. Culvert failure. Expect temporary fix 2-3 days.
- Piggabeen Road past Pine Tree Place Bridge No 155 (timber bridge). Major damage. Dangerous. Should not cross.
- Porters Road, Upper Crystal Creek – Impassable. Completely washed out.
- Riverside Drive, Tumbulgum – one lane.
- Reserve Creek Road – Proceed with extreme care. Trees over road.
- Rowlands Creek Road, 2km from Mitchell Street, Uki – landslip.
- Smiths Creek Road – landslip, half lane blocked.
- South Pumpinbil Road, Pumpinbil – one lane open. Take extreme care. Bridge abutment undermined.
- Spring Valley Road, Cudgera – closed. Collapsed culvert.
- Tomewin Road – Very dangerous. Slips are still moving.
- Tweed Valley Way at Greenhills, South Murwillumbah – One lane open on temporary repair. Take extra care.
- Upper Crystal Creek Road, Upper Crystal Creek – Road washed out at creek crossing.
- Urliup Road, Bilambil to Dulguigan – 300m section of road missing. All residents have access in and out either north or south but no connectivity across missing section.