The Richmond Valley Council by-election appears to be a race in two between Sandra Duncan-Humphrys and Barbara Jeffery.
At the close of counting last night, Ms Duncan-Humphrys had polled 2203 votes, or 21.8 per cent.
Mrs Jeffery had polled 1986 votes (19.6 per cent).
The by-election is being held to fill the vacancy left by the death of Ray Jeffery, a long-time councillor who was killed in a car accident last December in Evans Head.
Barbara Jeffery is Mr Jeffery’s widow.
Final voting figures are expected to be determined by Tuesday morning.
Check the Electoral Commission’s website for updated figures.
Figures as of Saturday night for other candidates:
- Allan Vidler 420 (4.1 per cent)
- Doug Behn 597 (5.9 per cent)
- Roger Wood 1150 (11.4 per cent)
- Ian Drinkwater 1396 (13.8 per cent)
- Lizzie Chapman 676 (6.7 per cent)
- Michael Greentree 1698 (16.8 per cent)