Member for Page, Janelle Saffin MP, says 12 schools in Page will receive more than $14 million for major infrastructure projects under the first round of the Primary Schools for the 21st Century (P21) program.
“It’s wonderful to see our local schools and communities benefit from the Government’s huge investment in new school buildings,” MsSaffin said.
“The funding in this round includes $2.5 million for Casino West Public School for a hall and new Covered Outside Learning Area (COLA), and $2 million for a library and classrooms at Our Lady Help of Christians in South Lismore.
“I know how much the schools will benefit from these new buildings, and of course this major investment in our area will also support local jobs and bring money into our communities.
“Construction and refurbishment work will begin as soon as possible, with many projects planned to begin this month.
“Today’s funding announcement is the first round of the $12.4 billion P21 national program which will deliver funding to every primary school for major building projects including libraries, multi-purpose halls and classrooms.
“I encourage all local primary schools to submit their applications for Round Two of the P21 funding which closes on 15 May, and round three which closes on 10 July, 2009.
“The P21 funding is the second phase of the Rudd Government’s $14.7 billion Building the Education Revolution investment, a key element of the $42 billion Nation Building-Economic Stimulus Plan.
“By investing in our local schools, the Rudd Government is investing in every community and helping to keep local contractors, tradespeople and small businesses working during the difficult economic times.”
- Afterlee Public School Kyogle New COLA $250,000
- Biala Special School Ballina Library $250,000
- Blue Hills College Goonellabah Multipurpose hall $1,999,280
- Casino West PS Casino Hall, COLA $2,500,000
- Chatsworth Island PS Chatsworth Island Library $850,000
- Collins Creek PS Collins Ck New COLA $250,000
- Doubtful Creek PS Doubtful Ck COLA and classroom upgrade $250,000
- Emmanuel Anglican College West Ballina Library $2,000,000
- Our Lady Help of Christians South Lismore Library and classrooms $2,000,000
- Richmond Christian College Ballina Multipurpose hall $850,000
- St James Primary Yamba Multipurpose hall $850,000
- Summerland Christian College Goonellabah multipurpose hall and indoor sports facility $2,000,000