A Mullumbimby family was saved from a house fire last night by smoke alarms that woke them from their sleep.

At 12.30 last night, three Rural Fire Brigade appliances and one NSWFB appliance attended a house fire at Grand Valley Circuit at Mullumbimby.

When Brigades arrived they found that the occupants of the house had safely evacuated after smoke filled the house.

RFS Group Captain Michael Cooper said that the smoke alarms saved the family by waking them from their sleep. By closing doors and windows as they evacuated, they helped to confine the fire to one room.

The residents dialled 000 after they had all evacuated safely. Although the fire was confined to one room, brigades used breathing apparatus to help extinguish the fire as the house was filled with smoke.

RFS Community Safety Officer Laurence McCoy said that it is a myth that people think that they will be woken up by a fire.

“The toxic smoke and gases are more likely to have the opposite effect. The best way to protect your family is to have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your house,” he said.

The cause of the fire is still being determined.