The Tweed River Regional Museum hosted an afternoon tea last Saturday at ‘Kynnumboon’, the original site of the home of Joshua Bray, one of the earliest European settlers to the Tweed Valley.

One of his many great grandchildren, Bev Fairley, and one of his three remaining grandchildren, Noella Elworthy, presented four beautifully-framed photographic prints of Joshua Bray and his wife Rosalie, and Samuel Gray and his wife Mary to the Tweed River Regional Museum.

The images are representative of the Tweed Valley’s founding fathers and will be exhibited at the Murwillumbah branch of the Regional Museum in Queensland Road.

As well as managing his and Samuel’s agricultural and cedar interests, Joshua Bray was virtually the first public servant on the Tweed: Justice of the Peace, Clerk of Petty Sessions, first Post Master, Crown Lands Administrator, Protector of the Aborigines and unofficial doctor and dentist.

Samuel Gray was the Member for Richmond in the Robertson government.

In the absence of their husbands, Rosalie and Mary often ran the local side of the operation – managing the farms, visiting the ill, teaching any children who came, running the post office and providing general hospitality.

Joshua remained at Kynnumboon until his death in 1918, as did Rosalie until her death in 1938.

Kynnumboon is now the name of a locality just north of Murwillumbah.

Invited attendees at the afternoon tea had the opportunity to stroll through the grounds, pore over original photographs, scrapbooks, memorabilia and objects belonging to the family as well as explore the treasures within the Studio, the only remaining and intact building from the time of Joshua Bray.

The Studio was built in the 1880s as an art studio for Florence, the daughter of Joshua and Gertrude Bray.

PICTURES: Acting Senior Museum Curator Kathryn King (right) thanks Bray descendants – Noella Elworthy (left) and Bev Fairley – for their generous donation of framed prints, watched by Mayor of Tweed Councillor Warren Polglase and Murwillumbah Historical Society President Ron Johansen.
The Studio was built in the 1880s at Kynnumboon and is the only building to remain intact from the early Bray era.