Ballina Shire council says Lennox Head residents can be assured that the asbestos clean-up is in hand.
Not only were many homes damaged, but some home owners had asbestos hazardous material blown into their properties from the tornado that ripped through parts of Lennox Head last Thursday morning, 3 June.
Mayor Phillip Silver said today: “We have received advice that the NSW State Government is going to offer assistance in the handling and disposal of the asbestos for properties that did not receive building damage but have been affected by asbestos being blown into their properties.”
Broadly, affected properties fall into one of three categories, and the handling and disposal of hazardous material will be dealt with as follows:
- Residents with insurance should contact their insurance company in the first instance to determine if their policy covers the removal and disposal of asbestos debris.
- Where insurance does not cover the removal and disposal of asbestos debris, residents should contact Ballina Shire Council on 6686 4444. Council will be reimbursed under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements for this cost.
- Uninsured residents with asbestos debris on their property should contact Ballina Shire Council on 6686 4444. Council will be reimbursed under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements for this cost.
“Asbestos debris should only be handled by licensed contractors who are equipped to handle and dispose of the material,” Cr Silver said.
“The Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements do not cover the removal of general debris, such as other building material and fallen branches and trees on private properties.
“However, council is waiving tip fees for affected residents. Residents needing this service must first show ID when disposing of storm debris at the Waste Management Centre.
“The full effects of the disaster are starting to be realised in the Lennox community, and a number of agencies are available to provide assistance and advice where needed. If you need help I urge you to contact these agencies.”
Lennox Head residents seeking support or advice on other services available can contact the following agencies:
- If requiring maintenance on tarps or other protection provided by SES phone 132 500.
- If uninsured and experiencing financial hardship, contact the Department of Community Services on 1800 018 144.
- If seeking emotional support and guidance, contact Mental Health on 1300 369 968.
- For general information and referral to other agencies, call into the drop-in centre at the Lennox Bowling Club in Stewart Street.