Retravision Northern League premiers Mullumbimby Giants will be looking to rack up a big winning margin when they take on Cudgen at Mullumbimby on Sunday in the final round of the Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competition.
The Giants are in sixth spot, equal with fifth-placed Tweed Coast Raiders on 23 points.
But Tweed Coast have the superior percentage rate — 146.15 to Mullumbimby’s 131.29 — and it is those percentages which will determine which side takes fifth and the final spot for the play-offs.
Grafton Ghosts, Byron Bay, Lower Clarence and Lismore Marist Brothers are assured of finals berths.
All that remains to be seen is which team grabs fifth.
Tweed Coast play Casino RSM at Casino on Saturday, and should win.
But the Cougars are not an easy team to beat at home, and if they hold Tweed to a slim margin and Mullumbimby scores a big win over Cudgen, the calculators will come into play.
One thing in Mullumbimby’s favour is that their game is on Sunday, and Tweed play on Saturday, so Mullumbimby will know exactly how much they will have to win by, come game time.
Two other matches of interest this weekend are the Grafton local derby, and Lower Clarence taking on Kyogle at Kyogle.
Grafton Ghosts have the minor premiership wrapped up, but they will be keen to avenge their first-round loss to Grafton Rhinos.
The Grafton local derbies can get somewhat heated, so no doubt Ghosts coach Col Speed has told his players to keep it cool and not risk a send-off with the finals looming.
SATURDAY 16 August
- Casino v Tweed Coast, 3 Grades, 1pm start, Queen Elizabeth Park, Casino. First Grade Kick-off 3.45pm.
- Marist Brothers v Evans Head, Reserve Grade only) 1.30pm, Woodlawn College, Lismore.
SUNDAY 17 August
- South Tweed v Byron Bay, 2 Grades, 1pm start, Dave Byrne Field, South Tweed. First Grade Kick-off 2.30pm.
- Grafton Rhinos v Grafton Ghosts, 2 Grades, 1pm start, McKittrick Park, South Grafton. First Grade Kick-off 2.30pm.
- Ballina v Murwillumbah, 3 Grades, Noon start, Kingsford Smith Park, Ballina. First Grade Kick-off 2.45pm.
- Kyogle v Lower Clarence, 3 Grades, Noon start, New Park, Kyogle. First Grade Kick-off 2.45pm.
- Mullumbimby v Cudgen, 3 Grades, 11am start. Les Donnelly Field, Mullumbimby. First Grade Kick-off 1.45pm.