The opponents in this weekend’s Retravision Northern League semi-finals at Mullumbimby and Byron Bay have met only once this season in the Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competition.
And the fact that those matches were played very early in the season makes it difficult to predict this weekend’s winners.
Mullumbimby Giants will host Tweed Coast Raiders in Saturday’s elimination semi-final at Les Donnelly Field, Mullumbimby.
The two teams’ only clash was in round five on May 11, with Mullumbimby winning 26-16. That match was at Mullum.
In Sunday’s qualifying semi-final, Byron Bay Red Devils will host Lismore Marist Brothers at Red Devil Park, Byron Bay.
You have to go all the way back to the opening competition round on April 13 to get a ‘form line’ on the two teams. In their only meeting this year, Byron Bay won 42-14 at Oakes Oval, Lismore.
Given the lack of meetings by the teams, the deciding factors in both semis this weekend will be the home-ground advantage.
It’s going to be tough for the Raiders to topple the defending premiers at Mullum, and, likewise, Brothers will find it difficult at Red Devil Park.
The elimination semi winner will play the loser of the Byron-Brothers clash; the loser can get set for ‘Mad Monday’ end-of-season celebrations.
The winner of the Byron-Brothers semi will play minor premiers Grafton Ghosts, who have this weekend off. The big prize for winning that match will be hosting the grand final.
Saturday, August 23:
- ELIMINATION SEMI-FINAL, Les Donnelly Field, Mullumbimby:
- Under-18s, 11.30am, Grafton Rhinos v Kyogle.
- Reserve grade, 12.50pm, Tweed Coast v Evans Head.
- 1st grade, 2.50pm, Mullumbimby v Tweed Coast.
Sunday, August 24:
- QUALIFYING SEMI-FINAL, Red Devil Park, Byron Bay:
- Under-18s, 11.30am South Tweed v Mullumbimby.
- Reserve grade, 12.50pm Grafton Rhinos v Cudgen.
- 1st grade, 2.50pm, Byron Bay v Marist Brothers.