Evans Head’s Main Beach presented a carnival atmosphere over the October long weekend as the 18th Longboard Invitational was played out in warm sunshine with large crowds enjoying the 4-day program of surfing and social events.
The event culminated on the Monday with an amazing 11 finals, plus the added attractions of a spectacular ‘Sandology’ sandcastle exhibition and vibrant beachside markets.
The annual event is presented by the Evans Head Over 8s Malibu Club and has raised over $35,000 for charity since its inception.
With a record number of over 200 competitors in this year’s event organisers are hopeful of adding another few thousand to that total.
Despite unfavourable winds, there were plenty of very surfable, fun waves throughout the four days from Friday October through to Monday October 6.
The performance of the meet was undoubtedly Valla Beach’s Sage Joske in the Honolua Single Fin Fiesta, who rode a board originally shaped by his father, Paul Joske, back in the 1970s.
Joske junior thrilled the crowd with his swooping turns and flying off the lip surfing.
Garnering an incredible turn of speed, he linked up the power pockets in the waves to perform radical turns and manoeuvres at will.
Earlier in the day, he had taken out the Old Mal division for boards from the 1960s.
Meanwhile, Pro Longboarder Paul Scholten from Emerald Beach also took a convincing double, taking out the 9Ft Open Men and the BIC Surf Open divisions.
The Open Women’s went to another experienced pro longboarder in Banora Point’s Kirsty Webster, ahead of local surfer, Nicole Fields, and talented Currumbin junior Jess Roberts. Roberts also backed up to win the Under 18 Girls event.
The Under 18 Boys saw the Gold Coast’s Clint Guest add a worthy win in a strong field to his resume.
The age divisions were all hotly contested with Currumbin’s Robert Cribb, former WQS surfer, winning the Over 35s; Banora Point’s ever-consistent Ian Pearson taking out the Over 45s; and Bangalow’s Peter Hall securing the Over 55s.
2008 Evans Head Longboard Invitational Results:
- BIC Surf Open – 1 Paul Scholten (Emerald Bch), 2 Ruben Roxburgh (Evans Head), 3 Jared Neal (Sandy Bch), 4 Brett Caller (Nambucca Heads).
- Honolua Single Fin Fiesta – 1 Sage Joske (Valla Bch), 2 Matt Aldridge (Tweed Heads), 3 Isaac Fields (Evans Head), 4 Jack Lynch (Scotts Head).
- 9Ft Open Men – 1 Paul Scholten, 2 Jared Neal, 3 Keenan Roxburgh (Evans Head), 4 Matt Aldridge, 5 Gary Wimbus (Evans Head), 6 Josh Cooper (Maroochydore).
- Open Women – 1 Kirsty Webster (Banora Point), 2 Nicole Fields (Evans Head), 3 Jess Roberts (Currumbin), 4 Lisa Nicholson (Banora Point), 5 Anastasia Stavrou (Gold Coast).
- Under 18 Girls – 1 Jess Roberts, 2 Kara Nobbs (Ballina), 3 Jess Whyatt (Byron Bay), 4 Kirra Perry (Scotts Head), 4 Molly Furchtman (Evans Head), 6 Jacquelin Robson (Evans Head).
- Under 18 Boys – 1 Clint Guest, 2 Jack Milgate (Mullumbimby), 3 Dean Krestensen (Arrawarra), 4 Gary Wimbus (Evans Head), 5 Nick Jorgensen (Sunshine Coast), 6 Lee Cooper (Maroochydore).
- Over 35s – 1 Robert Cribb (Currumbin), 2 Ross Cribb (Evans Head), 3 Steve Jackson (Gold Coast), 4 Troy Olive (Coraki), 5 John Montgomery, 6 Mick Furchtman (Evans Head).
- Over 45s – 1 Ian Pearson (Banora Point), 2 Phil Roxburgh (Evans Head), 3 Gary Burden (Suffolk Park), 5 Phil Mansfield (Ocean Shores), 6 Forfar Petrie (Lennox Head).
- Over 55s – 1 Peter Hall (Bangalow), 2 Neville Smith (Gold Coast), 3 Brian ‘Harry’ Hann, 4 Vic Mulawa (Billinudgel), 5 Chris Hensley (Wyrallah), 6 Phil Hayward (Gold Coast).
- Old Mal – 1 Sage Joske, 2 Isaac Fields, 3 Grant Davies (Gold Coast), 4 Josh Cooper (Maroochydore), 5 Brett Caller (Nambucca Heads), 6 Guy Walker (Burleigh Heads).
- Mystery – 1 Ross Murphy (Ulladulla), 2 Steve Jeffries (Alstonville), 3 Jim Baker (Lennox Head), 4 Peter Vlug (Narrabeen), 5 Tony Anstee (Gold Coast), 6 Leiona Cribb (Currumbin).
- Top club – 1 Gold Coast Super 8s Malibu Club (29 points); 2 Byron Bay Malibu Club (27 points); 3 Woolgoolga Longboard Club (15 points).
- Best Manoeuvre – Brett Caller; Funniest Manoeuvre – Brett Caller; Best Wipeout – Paul Ascough; Best Hang Five – Isaac Fields; Best Hang Ten – Ruben Roxburgh; Best Sport – Sally Petrie.
Four hundred-plus packed the Evans Head Bowling Club for the presentation and contestants’ lucky draw which saw thousands of dollars worth of surf products given out as well as the eight surfboards that were won over the weekend.
An organiser, Phil Roxburgh, said: “As the Longboard Invitational draws toward its 20th year the popular event continues to go from strength to strength and gain in wide-ranging community support.
“The Over 8s Malibu Club and the contest organisers wish to thank all the sponsors, the competitors and their families, the local Evans Head surfers and the community at large for their consideration and support throughout the 2008 Evans Head Longboard Invitational.”