There’s no doubt summer is well on the way, and in Australia, no matter what sport you play, in the summer you hit the beach for a surf. Over 200 surfers will hit Main Beach, Evans Head this weekend for the 18th Evans Head Longboard Invitational.
Unprecedented demands for entries have seen a number of divisions expanded.
The event has also attracted quality fields right across the ten divisions.
The 9ft Open Men’s event will see defending champion Matt Aldridge (Tweed Heads) compete against world-rated pros like Jarred Neal (Coffs Harbour) and Bryce Young (Angourie); and Australian Longboard Circuit (ALC) surfers Paul Scholten (Emerald Beach), Mick Cottier (Sydney) and Ruben Roxburgh (Evans Head).
The Bic Surf Open with $500 prizemoney features defending champion Ruben Roxburgh and inaugural winner Bryce Young (Angourie), along with the top Open surfers.
The Open Women represent all ages with the up-and-coming Junior girls like Kara Nobbs (Ballina) and Jess Whyatt (Byron Bay) challenging the likes of former Australian Champion Sally Paxton (Tweed) and current Australian Over-35s champion Lisa Nicholson (Banora Point) and NSW South Coast twins Bernadette and Laura Murphy.
The Over-35, Over-45 and Over-55 age divisions are full of regular finalists at events up and down the East Coast, as well as a number of former Australian and State champions.
The Under-18 Boys and Under-18 Girls divisions also feature some serious new talent from right along the length of the NSW coastline and into Queensland.
In fact, it’s a line-up of many of Australia’s best Juniors, fresh from the recent 2008 Australian Longboard Titles.
- Honolua Single Fin Fiesta event (FRIDAY OCT 3): 24 surfers inspired by the surfing and boards of the 1970s, from Morning of the Earth to Sean Thomson at Off The Wall.
- The Longboards take to the waves (SATURDAY OCT 4). All the classic footwork and finesse, mixed with the progressive slash and air manoeuvres of modern pro longboarding.
- The Fleas and Ants (SUNDAY OCT 5). The ever popular fun feature for the 12 and Unders on Sunday @ 10:20am. 30 lucky grommets get a world of attention and for some their first surf.
- the Honolua/Xcel Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) session.. These over-sized surfboards are powered by long-handled paddles. The most adept riders achieve astonishing speed and manoeuvrability, a rare blend of grace and power.
- FINALS day – (MONDAY OCT 6) Watch the best of the best rip and glide.
- Take a break and shop at the Beachside Markets.