resortThe Byron at Byron Resort and Spa has done it again, picking up another major tourism award. On January 17 the blue-ribbon winners of  The Australian annual Travel and Tourism Awards were announced. The award for Best Resort Accommodation (under 100 rooms) went to The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa, which beat the country’s established greats in its category.

Other winners in the prestigious awards included the Bay of Fires Walk in Tasmania for ‘Best Eco Wilderness Experience’ and Vibe Savoy Hotel in Melbourne for ‘Best Value Accommodation’.

This is the fourth major award The Byron at Byron has received in 2009.

The resort featured in the ‘Top 10’ in both the Best Australian Resort and Best Australian Spa categories in Luxury Travel and Style Magazine’s Gold List for 2009.

Now in its fifth year, the Gold List is one of the most comprehensive luxury travel surveys ever undertaken by an Australian magazine and is widely accepted as Australia’s premier travel awards.

If that was not enough, the resort has also just won Leading Hotel/Resort (International) in the Travel Digest Industry awards.

Nominated by readers of the celebrated monthly industry magazine, they were voted for by over 6000 readers. 

Whilst 40 per cent of the resort’s business is repeat business, the majority of the remaining 60 per cent are first-time visitors to Byron Bay.

“These people are only just now discovering what makes the region so special,” said The Byron at Byron’s General Manager Lyn Parche.

“They usually spend a good deal of their visit discovering villages like Bangalow, Mullumbimby and Lennox Head.”

The Byron at Byron’s investment in international marketing has had spin-off effects for the region, according to Northern Rivers Tourism CEO Russell Mills.

“Lyn Parche and her team have put Byron Bay on the map as a holiday destination for discerning travellers around the world,” he said.

“Their commitment to client satisfaction goes well beyond their own property, as they actively promote the town, the surrounding attractions and the wider region. These accolades are well-deserved.”

PICTURE: Lyn Parche and resort marketing manager Holly Galbraith.